The Admiral’s Favorite Things
The TIE Defender executes a Koigorian turn to move into range 1 firing position
The TIE Defender is as close to cheating as you can get from any X-Wing ship. FREE U-TURNS! Yes, free. The 4 K-Turn is a white maneuver. That means no stress token, the nemesis of any pilot. This fella basically just likes to play peek-a-boo. He flies towards you and all of a sudden…gotcha! He’s behind you in perfect firing range, and still able to perform an action. That gives you a huge advantage if you’re the kind of player (like me) who likes to fly right at your opponent and get down to it. None of that circling around looking for the right angle business. Where they get you is the cost. Even the basic pilots are 30 and 32 points respectively. Rexler Brath (the top pilot) is a whopping 37 points. That is extremely high for a small ship. I like to run it with a few basic TIE Fighters, that way you have a couple pawns to sacrifice if needed.
3 3 3 3
The rest of the TIE Defender’s movements are pretty neat also. All straight maneuvers are green (it’s as if Nien Nunb is there in spirit). The hard turns are all red, and the only stress maneuvers on the dial. That combined with the 4 K-Turn being a white maneuver really makes this a fun ship to fly.
TIE Defender movement dial shown in upgraded Imperial maneuver kit.
The upgrade cards in this expansion are absolutely terrific. Predator (one of my favs) is a must have for everybody. Outmaneuver has to be used any time you fly the TIE Defender, since you’re able to sneak behind your opponent with the 4 K-Turn. Since you are now behind them you can reduce their agility (defense dice) by 1. That is a game changer. All in all this is without a doubt one of my favorite ships, and anytime I’m flying an Imperial squad it’s always right at the top of my list.
- Rexler Brath 8 (37) After you perform an attack that deals at least 1 damage card to the defender, you may spend a focus token to flip those cards faceup.
- Colonel Vessery 6 (35) When attacking, immediately after you roll attack dice, you may acquire a target lock on the defender if it already has a red target lock token.
- Onyx Squadron Pilot 3 (32)
- Delta Squadron Pilot 1 (30)
- Predator (3) When attacking, you may reroll 1 attack die. If the defender’s pilot skill value is “2” or lower, you may instead reroll up to 2 attack dice.
- Outmaneuver (3) When attacking a ship inside your firing arc, if you are not inside that ship’s firing arc, reduce its agility value by 1 (to a minimum of 0).
- Ion Cannon (3) ATTACK: Attack 1 ship. If this attack hits, the defender suffers 1 damage and receives 1 ion token. Then cancel all dice results.
- Ion Pulse Missiles (3) Attack (Target Lock): Discard this card to perform this attack. If this attack hits, the defender suffers 1 damage and receives 2 ion tokens. Then cancel all dice results.
- Munitions Failsafe (1) When attacking with a secondary weapon that instructs you to discard it to perform the attack, do not discard it unless the attack hits.
- Critical Hit token
- 2 Focus token
- 3 Shield token
- 6 ID token (#37-38)
- 2 Target Lock Token (W,X)
- Stress token
- 2 Ion token